Unrepentantly Human

There comes a time in our lives when we realise we owe some people an unreserved apology; I have reached that point. An apology not for a conventional wrong doing, but for it’s less thought-of, unconventional twin. I have expected so much from certain people, idolised–hero worship if you like–and placed them on the pedestal of perfection. I have thought them more than they truly are. I have stood in awe of them, showered them with lovve and affection due to gods. I have loved selfishly.

Our lives are so intertwined that we do not always know where one ends and the other begins. We feel a sense of responsibility for one another.  As parents, we feel responsible for our children. As older sibling, for our younger ones. As the head of states, for the citizens. As citizens, for our neighbours. As celebtities, for our fans. Teachers, for our students. Pastors, priests, for the church.
However, we do not always realise if we are at the receiving end, how difficult it is to be the giver. We feel disappointed, betrayed, lose interest and become judgemental when we receive anything less than perfect behaviour from others.

But at our very core, we are all the same. We all have good days and bad days. Dreams, fear, hopes. Joy and tears; strengths and weaknesses. We bleed when we fall. Break when bent. Snap when stretched beyong limit. Prone to make mistakes.  We are imperfect.

So I have been tried and found guilty of being unthoughtful about your needs. Hence forth,  you are allowed to take a break off that pedestal. Take a walk. Breathe in the air. Smell the flowers. Soak in the sun. Indulge.  Be inappropriate. Live. Most importantly,  step back up at your own convenience.

11 thoughts on “Unrepentantly Human

1. udoka_ May 20, 2014 / 6:13 pm

This line did it for me “I may never be for you what you represent to me, but I can promise to be understanding when you slip; to give you a second and third chance, because in the end, we have been made to complement one another but at our very core, we will always remain one thing: human, and will everybody else.
    Uju, this is really awesome. More like offering forgiveness even before the offense. Only the strong can do that.

• ujuh May 22, 2014 / 8:46 am

I think we will spend less time hurting and trying to understand people’s actions if we are already mentally prepared for screw ups. Just like writing exams 🙂
      Though, there are times you’re hit with something you never quite expected; suppose in times likr this you can afford to be objective while others are popping arteries and blowing gaskets.

2. livelytwist May 19, 2014 / 10:24 am

Beautiful post Uju, I like the way you wrote it. Your humanity & mine shines through. I take a different view on this quote, “People are only as extraordinary as they can successfully mask their ordinary selves.”

I would rewrite it as: extraordinary people unashamedly & unapologetically & successfully unmask their ordinary selves.

• ujuh May 19, 2014 / 10:30 am

Thanks Timi. I like the rewritten version 🙂

3. Uchendu May 17, 2014 / 12:31 pm

Nice one Uju. You write really well.

• ujuh May 17, 2014 / 12:42 pm

Thank you Uchendu. It’s nice of you to stop by 🙂

4. ericjbaker May 12, 2014 / 12:53 pm

Making superheroes of humans will only leave us disappointed in the end. That’s why you should hang out with me. I promise to be disappointing right away, before you have a chance to think otherwise!

😉

• ujuh May 12, 2014 / 3:27 pm

Lol I understand that now. Our humanity never really leaves us irrespective of our level of mental development and status.

I’ll take you up on that offer, Eric 🙂 We all need a bit of disappointing normality in our lives.
      Where’s the party at? 😀

• ericjbaker May 12, 2014 / 3:34 pm

Just follow all the people I’ve known over the years. They are the ones shaking their heads and frowning.

😉