Footprints

footprints.jpg

You are nothing, you are worth nothing.

Watching Tyler Perry’s Madea’s neighbor from hell resonated deep within me. How often we think people and even ourselves worthless in certain environment. How feelings like that make us feel helpless and unwanted, and how as people the desire to be needed by someone somewhere is inherent, but sometimes we feel like we have nothing to offer.

Every day during devotion at work, my boss would always insist that every one of us gave an input after the passage from the bible was read. Of course that suggestion was met with initial resistance. Not many felt like they had something worthwhile to contribute by way of a message, but overtime and with relentless efforts, everyone has begun to pitch in even without being asked. It has accomplished in itself opening a pathway to greater communication, and right at its core, a salient truth: Everyone has something to share.

We have been created in the image of the greatest being, and that being—God has placed within us gold that should be mined; milk that should be drunk by others. We cheat ourselves and the world when we deny ourselves the chance to share what we’ve got; what we have learned from nature, nurture and our vast experiences in the ocean called life. What the tides have taught us, and how each ripple has affected us. I find that life is a lot more enjoyable when we are not scared to live. When we are ready to teach and learn. When we learn that everywhere we go lies a need to be discovered and it is our duty to find how much of a difference we can make.

“There are scores of people waiting for someone like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our encouragement, who will need our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give”—Leo Buscaglia

More importantly those lessons can come from anywhere, even places we least expect to receive them. That sometimes the student may turn around to become the teacher, so we must learn to pay attention to one another.

On occasions I am taken back to my year in a small village in Benue state where I served my country.  I am transported to an image of myself throwing pieces of bread to the mother goat and her kids, my neighbors who sought shelter in the cool shade from the scorching heat of the sun. Of how I tried every day to get them to feed off my outstretched palm and the feeling of helplessness when they got tired of me and went away. Then a girl of 6 whose class I coached in the Christmas carol competition just weeks before, teaching me how to approach these animals, make them get used to my presence, the sound of my voice, patience, persistence, engendering trust from these animals, and in time the fruits of all that effort came. I finally got them to feed. This lesson has helped in my relationship with people too.

No man is worthless; within everyone lays a gold mine. We must be willing to build confidence in ourselves and share what we have irrespective of how insignificant we think they are.

Let your feet leave an imprint in the sands of hearts.

14 thoughts on “Footprints

1. freeman4youth October 6, 2014 / 9:22 am

“We must be willing to build confidence in ourselves and share what we have irrespective of how insignificant we think they are.”

I hope someday…all men would be at home with this fact……I personally realised this and felt the need to start by blogging…… A big thanks to friends like Ifeoluwa who has helped in a way and Timi who keeping inspiring and of recent…..you who is now motivating……… Great people

• uju October 6, 2014 / 10:56 am

The aim is to die completely empty, Freeman, and we must never stop moving until we achieve that.

Thank you for your kind words.

2. Nonso23 July 28, 2014 / 6:54 am

Deep. I like your thought pattern.

Every one of us always has something to give but some people need to feel appreciation for their person first, to help them wriggle out of their thick shells and surprise you.
    Patience and tolerance hold the key.

• uju July 29, 2014 / 12:45 pm

Patience and tolerance…something lacking in the world today. Some people believe tolerance to mean acceptance, and so shy away from certain type of people. Or we just don’t understand one another enough.

3. livelytwist July 10, 2014 / 10:31 pm

Everyone has value. Sometimes, we just need to look again and again and again. No man is worthless. Hmmm . . .

• uju July 29, 2014 / 12:50 pm

I think we need to have more faith in the inherent goodness that exist in every man. If we bother to dig deep, we will find that wealth of knowledge deep within.

4. Susan Irene Fox July 9, 2014 / 11:31 am

“Some of the greatest lessons we learn don’t come from big gestures but the little ones.” Absolutely true. And we never know from whom we will learn. This is a post filled with wisdom, and I have learned much. Thank you.

• uju July 10, 2014 / 9:53 am

From your bravery in sharing your story Irene, i have learned a whole lot of lessons.
      I’m so glad you stopped by, and that this post has given you something extra in your life 🙂

Blessings,
      Uju

5. Great July 6, 2014 / 5:42 am

Wow! What a great and inspiring piece you have here. You are right Uju, everyone has something to give .We can only be ignorant about it or perhaps we think they are little and insignificant when whereas they are all the other person needs at that time.

• uju July 8, 2014 / 9:11 am

A measure of self-worth does help to avert thoughts like this.

It’s nice to finally hear from you 🙂

6. ericjbaker July 1, 2014 / 12:08 am

When we stop seeking validation from others, we find our own validation, at it comes with no strings.

• uju July 1, 2014 / 4:34 pm

True words, Eric 🙂

7. Shikaamaru June 30, 2014 / 3:48 pm

You share Life Here.
    Very Inspirational.
    Nice Blog!

• uju June 30, 2014 / 4:59 pm

Hello there! It’s so nice seeing a familiar face 🙂
      Thank you for your kind words, and I hope you visit again.