Counting Blessings

imagesCA96F1XR[1]The past months have been an emotional roller coaster for me; from momentary happiness to an instant bubble burst, I can’t say I have been the happiest woman on God’s green Earth.

In a bid to bring back some color to my life, I stumbled upon more books in a month than I have in a year. One such book writes about gauging ones’ thought pattern by their feelings. So if you’re feeling sad, then you’ve probably been thinking sad thoughts. I tried that. The result was not nice. Findings show that I feel terrible at least 70% of the time because I think horrible things (or maybe I think terrible things because I feel sad?). But seriously, if I were to write a book tomorrow, it will be something that’ll likely move you to tears.

So I’m trying this new exercise: every time I feel sad, I take a catalog of everything I’ve been thinking about and then I gradually replace all those sad thoughts with happy ones.

Think. Pause. Delete. Replace.

And following the words of Johnson Oatman’s hymn (Count your Blessings), I am dedicating today to counting my blessings, and thanking God for an educative half run.

My thankful list:
**I am alive.
**I fell in love (thought I was incapable of that).
**I started a blog—uh huh this one.
**I have met awesome people in this community.
**My understanding of people and the world has increased in terabytes.
**Stable finances. Well, I’ve been near broke a couple of times but somehow God provides a means–nothing short of a miracle here.
**I learned to love myself and others better.
**Finally got rid of the rug in my Living room. Hallelujah!
**Perfect health all round.
**The outcome of the World Cup didn’t send me into cardiac arrest.
**I finally stopped wishing my broom and mop will magically develop a mind and offer to clean the house without supervision. Work helps me clear my head.
**Temper and emotional response in critical situations have been stable.
**I found the sort of love I’ve been searching for in Christ himself. Nothing beats that.

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8 NLT

I am living everyday knowing that my life will only ever always be a balancing act that has less to do with pain and more to do with beauty.

12 thoughts on “Counting Blessings

1. yemi July 15, 2014 / 8:56 am

Nice write-up..

• uju July 15, 2014 / 12:18 pm

Thank you, Yemi.

2. juliesokol July 14, 2014 / 7:59 pm

Counting blessings-being thankful is the best cure,after all thankfulness is an offering that pleases the Lord (Proverbs)

• uju July 15, 2014 / 12:18 pm

Thankful people are happy people.

3. Great July 14, 2014 / 6:05 am

Hmmm…I will have to dedicate the whole of this week to counting my blessings then.
    I like the Philippians 4:8 you quoted. How sweet our lives would be, if we can completely fix our thoughts at all times on noble, lovely and admirable things.

• uju July 14, 2014 / 7:43 am

I read this book, The Secret. The writer talked about how our thoughts send a frequency to the universe that attract like circumstances to us.
      I don’t think it wise to attribute our life situations and feelings totally to the universe, but I found a certain truth in the book of Philippians 4:8 and that particular statement.
      There are Universal laws that works for everyone is used well(like the game of chess….post foe another day), which is why I believe the bible makes mention of the sun shining on both the good and evil, and why people wonder that bad people turn out very successful, and a few good men do; they just happen to know things we don’t know.

Have a wonderful week, Great and think only happy thoughts 🙂

4. ericjbaker July 12, 2014 / 2:54 am

You forgot “**I know Eric.”

For reals. Sometimes the best things in life are staring you in the face!

🙂

Admit it, you smiled at least.

• uju July 12, 2014 / 9:37 pm

I suppose why we are encouraged to count our blessings and be surprised by all the good things in our life.

I know Eric! and your comment earned the widest grin on the history of grins 🙂
      Thank you Eric for being a source of joy.

5. ifemmanuel July 11, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Lol @ “the outcome of the world cup didn’t send me into cardiac arrest” and I cosign on nothing beats finding love in Christ Jesus.

I pray that you always see past the sadness into the beauty.

• uju July 15, 2014 / 12:13 pm

Hmmm Ife, every SE game had me clutching my heart. Then the Dutch disappointed me by not reaching the finals, and I’m glad Argentina didn’t win.

Thank you, may your life be just as beautiful 🙂

6. livelytwist July 11, 2014 / 6:39 pm

I have found that gratitude can be an antidote to sadness. May your broom and mop develop arms and legs! 🙂

• uju July 12, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Thank you Timi.
      In the spirit of strangeness, I cleaned the house today without breaking sweat!
      I’ve been completely lighthearted since i posted this 🙂