Finding The Right Environment

wpid-WP4Phone_20140907122209.jpgFew months ago, I wrote about how mind numbingly dissatisfying I found my job. The pay sucked, the working hours were outrageous and coworkers crazy annoying.  And even though I rather prefered to do something different, I just couldn’t bring myself to quit because somewhere in the recess of my mind– the part that wasn’t plagued by all the displeasures I felt– I knew I was in the right place. I  just didn’t know why it was the right place to be.

But sometimes while searching for something else, we find things we didn’t know we were looking for.

We have been equipped with the perfect tools to achieve our purpose. They don’t have to be tools you like or things people generally approve of like an awesome positive personality and a never die attitude, they just have be what was tailor made for you to identify needs and solve problems–which is man’s ultimate purpose.

Finding the right environment to develop your inherent skill is akin to  sowing the biblical seed on good soil. There you have the best nourishment to grow and be of use to yourself and others. An apple seed is just that: a seed. Sown in the wrong climatic conditions–despite the perfect soil type– it’ll dry up. Placed in the right environment and in the right soil, it grows into a tree and serves it’s purpose.

So how do you know you’re in the right environment?

Know yourself. What are your strengths and weaknesses?  They could be interchangeable depending on where/how applied.

Impact. Does your current environment bring out the best in you positively?

Growth. Are you provided with constant nourishment to help you grow? This could come as challenges that draw you out of your comfort zone and being surrounded by like-minded people.

Happiness. Is there any aspect of what you do that gives you even the slightest moment of happiness?
Why does it make you happy? Is it significant in the grand scheme?

For me knowing that I was in the right place came with the knowledge that my natural tendency to want to be of help to people and inherent ability to pick out everything wrong with a system first, before seeing what was working perfectly, made me a perfect fit for my job. I was in the right place because not only did it hone my abilities, it made me a great help to people and their businesses.

While in my personal relationship with others, subconsciously seeking everything  wrong was harmful, in my professional life it was the perfect personality needed. Now all I need do is make the necessary adjustments to the former.

Perhaps you’re still stuck thinking of possible ways to alter your personality because you don’t think it cool? Hold on a moment. In the right environment, your supposed weakness could turn around to being the strength someone needs and could give you self-fulfilling life.

Just like economics teaches us the relationship between ends(needs) and scarce means(resources) with alternative uses, our inherent resources have alternative uses too. Discover them.

20 thoughts on “Finding The Right Environment

1. glowingscenes September 12, 2014 / 9:28 am

I like this Ujuh. I really do and you’ve listed important factors I need to check to be able to maximize my environment and do a check-check if it’s vice versa.Bookmarked this page already. Thanks!

• uju September 12, 2014 / 11:30 am

You’re welcome 🙂

2. Century E. Favour September 11, 2014 / 6:32 pm

My story is a testament to this post. I can remember the moment I turned down a lucrative job from a company offering to pay me times three of what I earn then, and I also get to have more exposure. Everyone thought I made the wrong decision by rejecting the offer.

But so far it has turned out to be, among one of my best decision, reason been that I discovered were I was currently, was the right place (environment) for me.

Just as the writer stated I Knew myself. My strengths and weaknesses, and how my current environment brought out the best in me positively? Plus I also got the chance of grow and improve on my own terms.

Fast forward 8 months later … I asked my for account statement from my bank and to my surprise I discovered overall I earned more than I would have If I had taken the job then. It seemed me been in the perfect environment did not just make me happy, productive and better it also affected my finances positively over time.

Self discovery is very important for every individual, the earlier we discover our self in that moment we stand the chance to really know which environment is best for us, an environment that would enable us get the best out of our self.

• uju September 11, 2014 / 8:25 pm

Nothing screams motivation like a testimony based on experience.
      It’s great you were able to look past the allure of a fat paycheck, and focus on character/skill building.
      Good things do indeed come to those who have the patience to wait.

Thank you for sharing, Century.

3. olisa September 10, 2014 / 1:25 am

I like the way ur mind works.
    I agree with everything u wrote but it’s most applicable when the person in question got it right from the start.
    For instance, an art inclined child with a high IQ, forced into sciences would do very well in school, get carried away with academic success, get a scientific job and like u wrote, might also find hapiness in some aspects of the job. He/she might eventually start to feel trapped in the system when those innate qualities surface and it might be a too late to take any meaningful step.
    Keep this up Uju! U write good.

• uju September 10, 2014 / 4:56 am

Hi Olisa,

I believe the major the major problem people have is believing it’s too late to change course. It is never late to keep moving, and never ok to settle for less when you can have more. Like Obasi Chidi said, ‘Never stop moving’.

It’s also why we are encouraged to know ourselves; it’s a daily process. The more we discover, the easier it is to make the necessary adjustment.
      If you’re a Christian, then you are also at an advantage with the God factor on your side 🙂

I say if a persons ever feels trapped, get the hell out. Life is too short to live like you have a choker on 🙂

Thank you Olisa for your kind words.

4. stacilys September 9, 2014 / 2:12 am

this is wonderful. Oftentimes we don’t understand why we are where we are, or what the purpose is for this or for that, but God is doing miracles in our lives that may be unseen at the moment, but He is at work, building character and preparing us for whatever is next.
    I love what you said about the apple seed.
    🙂

• uju September 9, 2014 / 7:13 am

His ways and thoughts are way above ours. And just because we don’t always understand what is going on in our lives at the moment, it doesn’t mean they aren’t significant in His grand scheme. God takes care of every minute detail.

5. obasi chidi September 8, 2014 / 6:37 pm

Life is about choice,but in all keep moving number33:1-9. God created an environment,you have to recognise your right place by renewing your mind ( heart ) and finding your place in life. Finally forgive and have smooth ride in life.sweatheart ‘pursuit happiness’.

• uju September 8, 2014 / 7:37 pm

Choices. And perhaps when you discover you’ve taken the wrong turn, retrace your steps and begin damage control. Never stop moving…like that 🙂

“Pursue happiness”
      What is happiness? Seems very vague.

6. ericjbaker September 8, 2014 / 1:15 pm

We need you at my company. You like to fix broken systems, and our mantra is “Succeed on your own terms,” meaning, find the job that plays to your strengths. Plus,I have an emply desk right behind me. We could pass notes and make fun of everyone!

• uju September 8, 2014 / 7:34 pm

Cool mantra; I’m adopting this.

Passing notes sounds like fun! 😀

• ericjbaker September 8, 2014 / 7:35 pm

I suppose we’re passing notes right now, aren’t we?

• uju September 8, 2014 / 7:40 pm

Virtual notes? Oh yes!

7. ifemmanuel September 8, 2014 / 10:07 am

Are you still at the same workplace? And if you are, how does the dissatisfaction affect your quality of life?

• uju September 8, 2014 / 11:21 am

Yes I am, but I’m no longer dissatisfied–not after giving value to what I do.
      Now I’m actually happier than I was back then, the morning lag’s all gone, and I even stay long after working hours to meet deadlines.
      The turning point came with the understanding of myself, my feelings and that this was a learning process for me. Once my feet begin to itch, I’ll take off; but for now I’ll so my work with lots of joy 🙂

8. omoTamuno September 8, 2014 / 7:22 am