Just A Glass Of Life

As far as taking parental advice goes, I can be a bit of a hot head, like the curious bird eager to see how everything works. I love to tweak and play with things, explore and test, and see life as one giant puzzle. But I am also adept at locating the bandage when burned.

When there isn’t so much angst and righteous rage at the older generation, muttering about how different the world is, I can come to the quiet acceptance that the world and the way it looks might have changed but people sure as hell haven’t. It’s a lot like pimping a bird-cage. We can spruce and jazz it up a bit, but that does not change what specie of animal occupies the space or its genetic make-up.

The world isn’t so different.  We might ask ourselves why good things happen to bad people and bad things to good people. Why there is so much injustice in the world; the oppressed weep and there is no one to help them.

Truth is, life just happens to all of us. Good things come and bad things follow suit. We chase after things we may never find. Want things that will never be ours. Lose what we never truly owned. Let out frustrating tears. Laugh the laughter of the contended or even suffer bouts of hysteria. And when we are done, we sit and ponder. And then relearn there is a lot we are yet to understand about the things we think we understand.

That life is too complex for anyone. Not complicated, nor cruel, just complex. If it were any easier, there will be no use for God at all, or the extra hours we spend studying philosophy and science trying to make sense of it. But if the Wisdom of Solomon is anything to go by, then there is nothing new in this world, and the same thing happens again and again. Judging by the way we live though, it looks like there hasn’t been any significant breakthrough in the aspect of learning from history– a lot like viewing one’s damning future in a crystal ball and then going right ahead to live it anyway.

Just a glass of life

I have learned there are actually more than two ways to look at that glass half filled with liquid. It could be half full. It could be half empty. And it could just be a glass with a liquid. Life happens. We are stuck in it. We will still exist in that space whether we wish to or not.

However, there is always the option of choice:

~To wallow in self-pity at the past and imagine the world has ended on our side of the globe.

~To block out everything that has happened and paint ourselves the picture of a rosy future.

~Or we can acknowledge that whatever happens is simply one more phase we have to pass.

And it could be just a glass of life. No pessimism, optimism, or obsessing over rationality. Just quiet acceptance that another page of the book we call our life has been completed, and we can move on to the next chapter.

Perhaps that is a better way to deal with whatever curve ball life throws.

25 thoughts on “Just A Glass Of Life

1. archaeopteryx1 January 18, 2015 / 5:42 pm

The glass is always full – sometimes with only air, but always full.

• uju January 18, 2015 / 5:57 pm

Hmmm half liquid, Half air? That’s a new angle.

2. Holistic Wayfarer January 15, 2015 / 2:27 pm

I’m glad this bit of wisdom was borne out of funk. You sound older here. =) There ARE things we can do to the water in the glass. Add a spoonful of honey when there’s too much lemon. =)

• uju January 17, 2015 / 11:16 am

I feel older everyday 🙂
      And a honey IS good….not too sweet, not too sour, just the perfect combo for life.

3. livelytwist January 13, 2015 / 3:19 pm

It is one thing to remember history, to know the right thing, and it is another thing to do it, to live what you know is right. God help us.
    So what parental advice inspired this post? 🙂

• uju January 14, 2015 / 7:16 am

Amen.
      Well, it is a bunch of them actually, but the inspiration for this post is actually from the book of Ecclesiastes–something i stumbled upon while in a funk.

4. Kachi January 10, 2015 / 8:10 pm

This post is everything.

I had heavy bouts of depression last year because it finally dawned on me that most of the people who I lost, who were- to a great extent- my anchors, were never coming back again. I questioned everything. I withdrew from everything.
    in my quest for answers, I came across Ecclesiastes 9. and that chapter says everything you have beautifully written here that helped me recuperate.

I am keeping this with me. I am holding on to it “And it could just be a glass with a
    liquid. Life happens. We are stuck in it. We will
    still exist in that space whether we wish to or
    not.”

Thank you once again. really glad I subscribed.

• uju January 10, 2015 / 9:12 pm

You know Kachi, when we are at our lowest moment that’s when we are most open and receptive to God’s grace. I am glad he led me to the book of Ecclesiastes–which was the inspiration for this post–like he did for you.
      I’m glad that irrespective of what we are going through/have been through, we can still be instruments to bring peace to others.
      And I am most grateful that as we take each day at a time, we learn more about this rich beautiful tapestry called life.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your story 🙂

5. Ocso January 10, 2015 / 7:44 pm

Beautiful Inspiration to help one appreciate life better.

• uju January 10, 2015 / 9:06 pm

I hope the inspiration never forsakes us, especially when those curve balls come, Ocso.

6. Odii January 10, 2015 / 6:27 pm

There’s a quiet in that post. 🙂 I find it very attractive because life is so hard sometimes. You’re optimistic, you might be setting yourself up for a hard fall. You’re pessimistic, you might be costing yourself true happiness because you never take the risks that bring you joy or when you do and they do you’re too suspicious to really enjoy the joy.

A third option is so attractive. To somehow be detached, unaffected, untouched by life. Be the unfeeling rock. It reminds me of what Christ Himself offered. It sounds quite a bit like it. Don’t worry about anything. Don’t sit and plot and scheme trying to make sure you fix everything in your timetable. Just go out and do good things and God will take care of you.

Sounds looney. And I’m glad I remembered it again. Slipped my mind for a long time before.

• uju January 10, 2015 / 9:05 pm

The things we learn everyday, Odii. I used to obsess over being optimistic at some point–then I’d get sorely disappointed. Then I began thinking all these negative stuff–and the fear of bore kept me paralysed.

So a third option works just fine. Knowing that ‘hope’ doesn’t mean all my scheming will make things work out right. It’s simply that when I align my priorities and do good, I can find whatever journey life promises me pretty amusing.

7. obasi chidi January 10, 2015 / 12:11 pm

liars has long legs but truth catches up

8. yemi January 9, 2015 / 1:20 pm

well happy new year to you..nice 1..

• uju January 9, 2015 / 10:30 pm

Happy New Year, Yemi. It’s nice to see you again 🙂

9. olisakwerah January 9, 2015 / 10:43 am

True, the older generation can be overbearing. They need to understand that things have changed and are still changing.

This got me Lol “it looks like there hasn’t been any significant breakthrough in the aspect of learning from history”…. we actually make the same mistakes over and over again. Human nature I suppose.

Great post Uju, I now know there’s a 3rd way to look at a glass half-filled with liquid.

• uju January 9, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Ugh! Tell me about it, Olisa. But they are wise still, and wisdom profits to direct. So maybe the world has changed a lot, but the same rules of life still applies for different generations, race through out centuries. History attests to that.

We are just stubborn I guess. Knowing what could happen and thinking we can try the same thing and get different results. Never works.

• olisakwerah January 10, 2015 / 6:41 am

Yea I totally agree, the principles of life are very rigid.
        Back then, I used to think that most of my decisions go wrong as consequence for disobedience but i realised that experience has given parents a superior foresight, so iv since learrnt to give a 2nd and 3rd thought to whateva it is I’m told.
        Actually, my gripe is not with the things said but in the manner. The older generation shud learn to be less domineering. The present day adolescent is very opinionated & u know some mistakes are not correctable.

• uju January 10, 2015 / 9:28 am

I understand what you mean. You wonder if they’re trying to coerce certain decisions on you with the manner at which they approach various subjects/issues.
        Gladly some parents are learning fast. I believe no one is unteachable–you just need the right teacher and an appropriate method for every student.

And this:
        “we actually make the same mistakes over and over again. Human nature I suppose.” —Doesn’t this remind you of one giant cycle? 😀

10. paulfg January 8, 2015 / 4:33 pm

“It’s a lot like pimping a bird-cage. We can spruce and jazz it up a bit, but that does not change what specie of animal occupies the space or its genetic make-up.”
    Uju – brilliant!! 🙂
    I read a poem a long time ago. About a bird on a branch. And a freezing day. And the bird froze to death. A sad poem perhaps. Yet the reason? That the bird froze and died without once feeling sorry for itself.
    Your piece reminded me that of all the differences in this magnificent species tapestry – feeling sorry for oneself seems to be ours alone.

• uju January 9, 2015 / 10:26 pm

That’s a very sad poem. Perhaps the bird felt nothing because unlike humans who are worry-bots, animals understand that nature will take its course all the time.
      Maybe knowledge isn’t always the best–or too much of it at least.
      I’m reminded of what Jesus said to the people concerning worrying about nothing, and trusting that our Father in heaven will supply all our needs.

11. makagutu January 8, 2015 / 2:30 pm

The one thing I think is true is men hardly ever learn from history

• uju January 8, 2015 / 4:36 pm

True Mak, it’s like being programmed to self-destruct.