Are You An Old Soul? (On Reincarnation And Spirituality)

It’s a common belief in this part of the world—Africa—and certain religious circles—Hinduism and Buddhism—that the souls of loved ones who pass away reincarnate i.e. are reborn into this word. As a Christian, I am hard-pressed to disbelieve this, but some things happen that make me rethink my position. My dad is of the opinion that people reincarnate. For instance, unlike most Nigerian men, he has no reservation with venturing into the kitchen and preparing a meal, nor does he mind serving himself when the women are either unavailable or simply too busy to be disturbed. If you aren’t from around these parts, you may not understand what that represents. My uncle won’t be caught dead with a ladle.

During a conversation we had one time, dad said he was the soul of a woman reincarnated, hence his flair and absolute comfort in a woman’s space. My brother on the other hand was deemed to be the soul of a man who owned an Obi. He—my brother—is very accustomed to being served. Sometimes papa tells him that none of his children will be confined to a life of servitude, and oftentimes I have been known to ask him to get a wife for himself (apologies to all women out there you are not confined to a life of servitude either).

Hitler reincarnatePersonally, I think if my soul is an old one, then I was probably a Fish or a water creature in a past life, and my sister may have been a Dog. Let me explain: I have this recurring dream about drowning whenever I’m down with fever and even though I am strongly drawn to the ocean, I wouldn’t be caught putting a foot in it. Of course we can deduce my reaction to hydrophobia, but there’s been no history of me having a bad experience in any water body. My sister on the other hand likes to lick… I mean stick out her tongue at every contact with her face, so I chalked it down to being a dog before. She’s also terribly afraid of canines. It’s baffling because like me they’ve done her no wrong before.

These may be pretty nothing compared to most examples of reincarnation out there, but it’s the closest I’ve come to a personal experience. Anyway I came upon a site: Higher Perspective that highlights 12 signs your soul has been reincarnated several times. These are things we can easily relate to, may possibly have other explanations for them, or well, just never gave a second thought before. I’ll share a few of them (the bullet points) and my own experiences.

Signs A Soul May Have Reincarnated Several Times

1. You have recurring dreams.

Reincarnated to a HippoIt’s believed that dreams are a reflection of our subconscious. In more spiritual/religious circles they are often linked to happenings in another plane—often the spiritual. If my constant fevered dream of drowning or just being underwater counts, then I may have suffered a horrible death in another life, or may have been a water mammal.

1. Some memories are out-of-place.

Apparently this is common with children because they are quite closer to the crossing-over point. I recall certain childhood memories I share with my siblings and they swear they don’t recall any such things happening. Of course its left me distorted—am I insane, dreaming, or did someone bash my brain in with a 6 pole? The brain can be tricky though so due diligence should be applied.

1. You experience déjà vu.

Familiar right? I oftentimes feel like something happening has taken place before. Still a few years ago I read a book about the 3-dimensional planes — it was pretty old—and how whatever happening now has been done on a different plane, hence the feeling of déjà vu. Unless maybe we took the other pill and are stuck in the Matrix.

1. You are empathic.

Empaths are people who aren’t able to shake the feeling of others very well. They often feel the experiences of people around them and sometimes use empathy to forget their own problems and deal with other people. But it could be a sign that the soul has previous incarnations and is more geared toward healing the world than the self. Yep, that’s me. Only I tend to distance myself from people because I feel too much and haven’t mastered how to deal with it—such a waste of an otherwise beautiful gift.

That’s it for me. Others include the experience of precognition and retro cognition, useful intuition, wisdom beyond age, an exceptional draw toward certain periods and cultures, inexplicable fears, feeling out-of-place, weak parental connection. I advise any interested or curious persons to read the very insightful post from the linked site.

It’s probably too much to assimilate when you’re highly religious, but there is more mystery to this world than any one religion can contain, and we should never stop questioning. If we agree spirituality is of great essence, then we can afford to be open-minded enough to see just how far it transcends. Me, I like the idea of being reincarnated. I call dibs on being a tree in the next life.I want to be a tree

Credits:

Fodder for thought: Higher Perspective. 12 compelling signs your soul has been reincarnated several times

Photos: Google Images

41 thoughts on “Are You An Old Soul? (On Reincarnation And Spirituality)

1. D'Dream November 27, 2015 / 3:43 pm

I myself have often had such deja vu moments. There are some feelings I can’t explained myself,,- the feeling of being old, been more comfortable around women than guys, cooking and cheekly interested in more girly stuff than usual.
    I believe somehow I have lived a long time but as what is what I cant really say. Staring at the moon usually take me centuries

• uju November 28, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Oh maybe you are the reincarnated spirit of a woman? That’ll be nice 🙂
      I guess we’ll find some answers to the looming question of our mortality, spirituality and this energy we share.

• D'Dream November 28, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Some questions I have for God after going through the pearly gate will be something. Father God gotta prepare o

• D'Dream November 28, 2015 / 8:19 pm

There are so many mysteries surrounding these world we lived in so much we cant always look at life in black and white. There are so many grey areas in between that our limiting humanity perspective is oblivious of

2. cat9984 May 19, 2015 / 8:24 pm

I used to have that drowning dream all the time. A psychic told me that I had drowned in the 12th century. After he told me that, I stopped having the dream. Weird, huh?

• uju May 20, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Lol that’s just hilarious. I thought about that drowning experience in a past life being the reason too hehehe.

3. olisakwerah April 12, 2015 / 7:39 am

I also ponder on this topic at times. Even though it negates christain beliefs, there are some experiences that are very hard to shake. Growing up, there was a certain kid in my villa who could give vivid accounts of what happened decades b4 he was born, things his parents know nothing of…………..a new born baby is the spitting image of a recently deceased relative and grows up with the same mannerism…..I could go on and on.

Funny analogies…lol. I don’t see u as fish though, you are too warm. A Dolphin maybe.
    You shoud write a book.

• uju April 13, 2015 / 1:11 pm

Gosh you had to dwell on the fish eh? 😀 Okay a Dolphin’s good. I like Dolphins.
      And yeah, I’ve read similar accounts of strange behaviours in children and wonder…

That book…lol. We’ll see.

4. Jean April 5, 2015 / 10:27 pm

I’m not religious.

I’m not sure about reincarnations but do believe there is / has been someone in our world that has some physical features and personality characteristics like ourselves. I’ve had some weird experiences:

*during peak rush hr. in Toronto’s busy subway stations, I spotted an South Asian version ..of my German-Canadian partner. I was so freaked out that I started to follow the guy for a few steps before I lost sight of him in the commuter crowd masses of people.

*when I was walking with some Greek-Canadian friends, in a section of Pireaus, a wealthy Arab residential area in Athens, I felt I had visited this place before: I had dreamt of this neighbourhood a few months before.

*I posted a query asking a bunch of international cycling women about the possibility of a “double” twin that exists of each of us. Several women relayed experiences of themselves or someone they knew who did spot a double or near twin of themselves.

Perhaps you should see the movie “The Double Life of Veronique”…. contrasts/parallels a French woman with a life of Polish/Eastern European woman a few centuries before that was similar to her.

• Jean April 5, 2015 / 10:28 pm

By the way, it’s wonderful you have a father for the person he is. Treasure that.

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:26 pm

I love him to heaven and back 🙂

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:30 pm

@third instance. Wow! Doppelgangers 😀 I had the most bizarre experience on Saturday. I was reading a “Dear….” update in my mail and kept thinking to myself, “I could have written this.” I mean this person sounded like me, was obviously going through the same issues as I am and even the age was same as mine. Then I look at the signature and see my name!

Strange things happen we can’t explain. I’d like to look more into this. Thanks for the movie referral. I’ll look it up 🙂 And thanks for sharing your experiences.

5. livelytwist April 4, 2015 / 5:59 pm

Certainly there are things that are hard to explain using our physical senses. Some stories of abikus makes one wonder. The supernatural is real, that much I agree. Reincarnation hasn’t really interested me, but you’ve unpacked the issues in a thoughtful way.

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:26 pm

Human intelligence is still underdeveloped to make sense of the supernatural.
      Thanks, T.

• makagutu April 8, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Then, the supernatural is not meant for the human intellect

• uju April 9, 2015 / 11:33 am

Hahaha I don’t think you really believe that, or we wouldn’t try so hard to logically explain everything.

• makagutu April 9, 2015 / 12:29 pm

If someone says the human intellect can’t understand the supernatural, what does that mean? Our only method of understanding is our intellect.

• uju April 9, 2015 / 12:52 pm

But our inability to understand doesn’t make the supernatural any more nonexistent, does it?
              That a child is unable to understand the Law of Gravity doesn’t mean there’s no gravity. Their minds soon develop enough to make sense of it.

• makagutu April 9, 2015 / 1:06 pm

No sweetheart and that is not what I said. I didn’t make a comment on whether they can exist or not. And your analogy of a small child is fallacious.

• uju April 9, 2015 / 1:22 pm

hehehe okay. We’ll leave it at that then. Hope you’re having a great day

• makagutu April 9, 2015 / 1:28 pm

I can’t complain any bit.
                  My day is good and hope you are well too

6. wholeproduction April 4, 2015 / 7:21 am

For us Christians, that idea is not possible ever no matter how hard you look at it and here is why. All of the facts you stated above is true for a lot of people but isn’t proof to anything. There is a scientific explanation to them that does not involve supernatural stuff, just ask any good phycologist and the will tell you how. Ecclesiastes 1v9 the world is a circle things come and go and that’s just the way it.That being said that does not mean reincarnation is involved. Humans have been the same since the begin we make the same mistakes over and over again. As christian we live and die and go to heaven (assuming we died in the hands of God). Just think simple logic here people. if we just keept rehincarnatin over and over then what was the point of Jesus coming to die on the cross to save us from sin? He wouldn’t not have to because we could have saved ourselves by just coming back over and over again until we lived a good life. Revelation 5v4 and with so many and many another verse in the bible shows us that no one and I mean no one is worthy to go heaven or see God because we are so sinful. I could spend all day telling of verses in the bible that tells us that we can’t make it alone no matter how hard we tried. No one can save us but God. If that wasn’t enough proof to bury your little theory God specifically said to let the dead bury the dead in Luke 9v60. Do you know why he said that? because once you are dead there is nothing you can do to save yourself because it’s all over. Read Psalm 115v17 or even Isaiah 38v18 to help you understand how wrong you are about all of this. It does not get much clearer than that. We should read our Bible to find the answer to tell of our questions or else we get confused. I pray that God opens your eyes to more questions that troubles you 🙂

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:24 pm

Oh I hope I didn’t come across like I believed in reincarnation. I was simply trying to draw a parallel between our beliefs as Africans and the Christian worldview. I respect that the bible doesn’t say anything explicit about reincarnation, and even if it does then it’s still probably one of those mysteries in the word Paul wrote about. Time will tell. Or our limited intellectual capacity will eventually catch up 🙂

I do however try to draw parallels between the traditional beliefs of my people, and what Christianity says. This is one such attempt. There may be no doubt explanations for some of these phenomena that make no sense at all–I hope there is. But until we find them, is there really any harm in toying with possibilities and diverse theories?

I found the cited article insightful, vaguely surprising and enjoyable though. You should take a look.

Thanks for taking part in the discussion 🙂 Appreciate.

• wholeproduction April 6, 2015 / 3:30 am

Spiritualist and Christians don’t really go well together…They don’t go together at all!

• uju April 7, 2015 / 11:57 am

But a Christian is expected to be spiritual, no?

• wholeproduction April 7, 2015 / 8:41 pm

Woah okay I think you got things relay confused here. You can not use their spirituality reasoning as yours, in fact their is the Bible on reverse! The Bible is good enogh to expain it’s self but you have to have to ask God to open your eyes on all of its secrets. The Bible is really spiritual in fact that is what most of it is but only God can open your eyes for you to see it. Going to bible studies would really help you my sister.

• uju April 8, 2015 / 8:15 am

i actually wasn’t placing their spirituality at par. I was only making reference to your earlier comment about religion and spirituality not going together. I think the latter in my part of the globe has been grossly understated, hence needs a boost. There is an old post of mine about Religion and the Ministry of Fear.It explains a lot about the act of making religion and spirituality mutually exclusive.

p.s I’m not saying reincarnation is real (you may have misunderstood me there) and i hope my opening lines actually explain my stand in this. I am however drawing a bit of light into our African culture and beliefs and honestly, the idea of being incarnated is strangely funny and appealing too.

7. paulfg April 4, 2015 / 6:23 am

“It’s probably too much to assimilate when you’re highly religious, but there is more mystery to this world than any one religion can contain, and we should never stop questioning.”

Now that is one the most inclusive loving sentences we should enjoy – and live – more often when discussing Love and God and all the the different brands/labels we prefer.

8. Holistic Wayfarer April 4, 2015 / 3:43 am

I don’t believe the Christian worldview accommodates reincarnations. But Christians don’t acknowledge, affirm, or think thoughtfully about our holistic design. That we are as much spirit, energy (how that word scares them), memory, mind, will, intuition as we are flesh. This is an entirely different angle from the one you’re exploring but we are sensitive to the rhythm and elements of the cosmos because we literally embody them (a whole other post). We are made of the minerals of the earth, for instance, and need nitrogen and sodium to keep our systems humming. And so your response to water could also be a sign that you either have too much or are deficient in its energy (getting into Eastern Medicine) – which ties into personality as well. All of which I know too little but just enough to consider the wonderful mysteries of our world. =)

• uju April 4, 2015 / 7:22 am

Yummy. You keep making a study of Eastern philosophy inevitable for me…sounds exciting.
      About the ‘energy’ there are times I feel like I can control matter 😀 It could be craziness lol or just a result of watching too much Japanese Manga. But yes as much as we have been separated by distinct cultures and colours and labels, there’s always the universals truth that we are all of one source, and hence connected not just in our physical attribute, but our spirits as well.
      I like where you’ve taken this, D. Will definitely be reading more.

• Holistic Wayfarer April 4, 2015 / 4:41 pm

I was speaking more of Traditional Chinese Medicine paradigms (which I believe are 5000 yrs old) and yes, which indeed encompass philosophy about nature. Christians can be so narrow and get nervous about things not explicit in the Bible. I believe science is the handmaid of the Creator, and He is the one who made the universe to hum and dance according to the vibrations (and energy) of all matter. (Interesting how people feel vibes from others, isn’t it?)

P Pitchford’s book is worth the investment. You can chk out Amazon reviews. The latest edition is the one you want. I’ve met him. He adores my son. He is amazing in his explanations about eating in harmony with nature and your own constitution. Oh, this was my first blog, btw. LOL. Was a seed for a book. And then OHJ won my heart. Anyway, I cite the book here:

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:18 pm

Your blog on Holistic Nutrition? Already read that a long time ago 😛
        Thanks for the reading guide. I’ll check him out.

9. makagutu April 3, 2015 / 8:34 am

Darling, you know I believe none of these and for each I am certain there is an alternative response that doesn’t involve rebirth.

• uju April 4, 2015 / 7:17 am

Hahaha I know you don’t believe in the spiritual. But you should. This world is just too vast for our limited intellect.
      Maybe Victoria has some neurological explanations? 😀

• makagutu April 4, 2015 / 7:32 am

ah sweetheart, that the world is vast, that I agree but that there is something spiritual, nay. If there was, we would already know by now.
        I guess she does.
        Missed you

• uju April 5, 2015 / 11:17 pm

Lol! But we know! Or at least some of us who still keep the faith do 😉
        Missed you

10. George April 2, 2015 / 11:45 pm

As a Christian I don’t believe in reincarnation but there some are things I can’t explain. I’ve had many déjà vu moments but more than that, I sometimes see a certain style older home and get a feeling I can’t explain….like I’ve lived there before. Also, when I’ve travelled to certain places, it feels like home to me…and the places that make me feel that way are similar in many ways….older with history behind them. These feelings have always made me consider the possibility reincarnation. And like your father I’m comfortable in the kitchen and have always found it easier to speak to women as opposed to men. What does it all mean? I don’t know but the type of feeling I always seem to get can’t be explained or dismissed. Very strange.

• uju April 4, 2015 / 7:16 am

That’s more like it 🙂 The linked article suggests that your soul may have reincarnated a number of times. It’s really hard to shake those déjà vu moments away…it’s like suffering from amnesia, having these thoughts hovering but still unable to grab a hold of it. I understand that. Perhaps there are explanations.

11. Obasi Chidi April 2, 2015 / 5:46 pm

Well,i don’t believe on reincarnation but i believe in Jesus

• uju April 4, 2015 / 7:14 am

Of course. As do I. But the possibility or something just hovering on the edge of our consciousness…is that too much to imagine?