Freestyle Writing Challenge

I picked up this Freestyle Writing Challenge from George and he’s come up with an interesting topic that tickled.

If you were invited to someone’s home for dinner and the meal was the worst thing you’d ever tasted, what would you do?

I have never considered myself a foodie, nor am I big on paying visits to people either, but as a general rule peculiar to me and maybe a number of people around, my eyes and nose eat before my mouth does. What this basically means is that I have to find a meal visually appealing as well as having an irresistible aroma before the thought of munching comes in.

But what if the sight and smell are deceptive? That’s a funny one seeing as I have been caught smack dab in this situation before.

My facial expression says a lot and so I expect that the faces of others would too. Naturally my first reaction will be to see how others are taking this onslaught of their taste buds. It’s always exciting watching people pretend to love something. There’s the initial shock accompanied by a widening of the eyes. The forced swallow with a wince, like the esophagus is trying so hard to keep the food down. Then there’s the total lock-down. The last part I love the most: Pretense with a pretty smile that fails to touch the eyes.

Next up is seeing how the host/hostess handles their plate, and if they’re even aware how horrible the food tastes. Maybe they’ll pretend it’s decent or they’re just clueless.

But if they were my friends I’d simply say, “Oh God this is terrible. Were you sleeping when you cooked this?” And perhaps think of how the meal can be salvaged in any way. We might laugh over my outburst. Or they might feel ashamed and I’d feel terrible about blurting out my thoughts insensitively.

Otherwise I’ll be good natured, swallow the meal without complaint—even commend the cook—and pray I don’t puke before it’s over.

Then I’ll make sure I never eat another meal there again. So help me God.

Word count: 310

Time: 4 minutes

The Rules

1. Open a blank document.
2. Set a stopwatch timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever length you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds! Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
5. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals
6. At the end of your post write down the number of words to give an idea of how much you can write within the time Frame.
7. Put the whole document onto your post and nominate 5 others and give them a new topic. Remember to copy paste the rules in!

Nominations:

Target Verified

Tolawrites

A Prompt Reply

Chynanu’s Blog

A burdie from Lahore

Sheedart’s Blog

If you’re reading this and want to partake, please do.

Your Topic:

Tell us about something out of character.

18 thoughts on “Freestyle Writing Challenge

1. riskymallam June 25, 2015 / 8:27 pm

If I can’t be straight with my ‘friend’, then we are not friends.

• uju June 25, 2015 / 8:52 pm

True. It’s important we’re straight with friends, yet sometimes I feel like the special affection we have for them might hold us back a bit– at least to stop ourselves from hurting their feelings.

Don’t you feel that way? When you’re stuck between bruising their ego and being so blunt to say their food sucks?

• riskymallam June 25, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Anyway, it’s not black or white, because feelings makes the picture get hazy sometimes.

Nevertheless, I can pretty much tease my friends about their foods and everyone still goes home happy.

I get your perspective though.

• uju June 25, 2015 / 9:06 pm

‘Tease’. I like your choice of word. When it’s done in good humor then any sting only becomes momentary and quickly fades away.

2. Holistic Wayfarer June 25, 2015 / 3:50 pm

LOL. Great write-up, U. I love that you’d be real with your friends. That’s what friends do..

• uju June 25, 2015 / 7:53 pm

Thanks D. I’d love for my friends to be real with me too.

• Holistic Wayfarer June 25, 2015 / 8:31 pm

Exactly. I wouldn’t have it any other way. When we were dating, I served Mr. Wayfarer some kale. I had no idea he wanted to gag on it. He smiled and didn’t say a word through the painful bites. I learned only later what a junk food junkie he was. He was also the people-pleasing type, which bugged me (except when he would move mountains to please ME, right?). There are layers to explore in your post, actually, bc we get into the loaded ques of people-pleasing, always an issue to trace back to childhood, fear, and sense of self.

• uju June 25, 2015 / 9:04 pm

“There are layers to explore in your post, actually, bc we get into the loaded ques of people-pleasing, always an issue to trace back to childhood, fear, and sense of self.”–

That’s the point of Freestyle writing, right? We get to write about the thinks we’re thinking without filters, and hopefully unearth something worth talking about.
          So basically there’s something very psychological about this behavior. Difficult parents? Social mishap? Or undeveloped self-esteem?

(Mr. W is such a sweet man. I don’t imagine he’s want to risk “upsetting” you when he’s still on the hunt :D)

3. George June 24, 2015 / 12:09 pm

lol…that was hilarious. Really. I love that you your eyes and nose eat before your mouth does, which is very true, and that you first watch the expressions of others. Great job, right down to “so help me God.”
    Now…the allergic to E challenge is next…:)

• uju June 24, 2015 / 5:56 pm

Thanks!
      I don’t know about that one, I’d have thought it impossible if I didn’t already read your post.
      I’ll give it a shot.