Reconstructing Yesterday

WP4Phone_20160106122458_0

It’s another season of resolutions. I love resolutions; I love that January  can be a marker, a month we set aside to take stock of our yesterdays and make better plans for our tomorrows.

A year ago I decided to take time to know my God better. It could have won the award for the shortest new year resolution list ever, but the effect of that single decision still ripples today. I’ve since learned it’s not how much you intend to achieve in a year that matters, but the quality of that achievement.

Just before the remodeling of our house commenced my dad and I talked about wisdom. The ease with which we make decisions based on current trends, and what’s acceptable today, but years after we are done reveling in the attention, we see the folly of our past choices and spend money and energy to correct the damages.

I sit in my bedroom and stare at the fresh cracks in my ceiling board. There are giant stones on my corridor and the parents have since relocated to another bedroom in the east wing of the house. Our living room is in terrible condition. The aluminum roofing sheets are totally gone and every morning I am jolted out of sleep by the slap of mallet on concrete above my head. There’s no telling when the ceiling boards will finally give way and cave in on me. The entire experience is frustrating. Yet there are nights when I stumble my way through the corridor to the living room, look overhead and have a perfect view of stars twinkling in the night sky. And I think that perhaps the remodeling process isn’t so bad after all.

There are two things this tells me:
One is that a new year resolution does not necessarily mark the close of a chapter or the beginning of a new one. Like a remodelling project, it can be a moment in time when we choose to retrace our steps and reconstruct.

Two, there will be clutters and times within the year when this new project seems like too much of a burden. It helps to remember why we’ve embarked on that journey in the first place and the quality of life we will have when it’s over.

Whether we are on a course to reconstruct yesterday, remodel, or simply taking more giant steps on the path we’ve been all along, I hope that when it seems like chaos is all there is we remember to look above and see the stars.

25 thoughts on “Reconstructing Yesterday

1. Dalo 2013 February 7, 2016 / 8:16 pm

A great post, and with the Lunar New Year ahead, Wish you a great year ahead, 新年快乐!猴年大吉!

• uju February 9, 2016 / 4:31 am

Thank you, Dalo. Have an uplifting year 🙂

2. Www.seekingyoufirst.com January 27, 2016 / 7:10 pm

I nominated you for a bloggers recognition award. I love your ability to see the positive in situations. May God bless you and your walk with Him!

• uju January 27, 2016 / 10:25 pm

3. Www.seekingyoufirst.com January 26, 2016 / 7:34 pm

I love this post. My resolution this year is to seek God As well. Nice perspective. Thank you.

• uju January 27, 2016 / 5:16 am

I’m glad you made that decision too. And the best part of it is, you don’t get to do it alone; God will help you know him 🙂
      Like Mary you’ve made the better choice.

Have a fulfilling 2016 🙂

4. Holistic Wayfarer January 19, 2016 / 4:25 pm

Lovely closing thought, Uju. Excellent resolution, btw.

The best of dreams, my dear.
    D.

• uju January 20, 2016 / 10:25 pm

Thank you, D.

Best of 2016 🙂

5. cisteksys January 9, 2016 / 12:46 pm

Today was yesterday, tomorrow, past is gone, we can’t retrive it back but move on, resolution isn’t the absolution but be YOU. HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVE!!!!!!!!!

• uju January 12, 2016 / 3:43 pm

Happy new year 🙂

6. Adaeze January 7, 2016 / 9:20 pm

Have I told you how much I love your writing? If I haven’t (I doubt that very much), then I’m shouting it now.

the reconstruction process might be painful and annoying, the finished product is worth all the wahala.

• uju January 8, 2016 / 10:52 pm

Ada you’ve sung it in my ears lol 😀
      And yes, it helps to keep the vision in sight (or mind). When you know where you’re headed, the journey becomes easier.

Best of 2016 🙂

7. livelytwist January 7, 2016 / 7:47 pm

Reconstruction is an awkward though necessary phase. I think it helps to keep the photo of the finished product in mind.
    Happy New Year!

• uju January 8, 2016 / 10:53 pm

Very true Timi.
      A splendid 2016 to you 🙂

8. George January 7, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Your unique wisdom and introspective view of life is always refreshing and much needed. This is beautifully written and expressed. As always, I’m not surprised…:)

• uju January 8, 2016 / 10:56 pm

I’m humbled by your words, George. Thank you 🙂
      Happy new year and I wish your family all the love and laughter 2016 brings.

9. Nedoux January 7, 2016 / 9:21 am

Hi Uju,

“…A new year resolution does not necessarily mark the close of a chapter or the beginning of a new one… it can be a moment in time when we choose to retrace our steps and reconstruct.”. I couldn’t have articulated this better. 🙂

Yes, the days blend into one another, calendars are nothing more than page markers. At certain points in time (beginning, middle or end of the year), we reflect on our plans and devise better strategies.

I wish you happiness in the New Year!

• uju January 8, 2016 / 10:59 pm

“At certain points in time (beginning, middle or end of the year), we reflect on our plans and devise better strategies.”
      Beautiful.

Happy retracing and strategising 🙂
      Wish you a splendid 2016.

• uju January 8, 2016 / 10:59 pm

Glad it spoke to you 🙂
      Happy new year.

10. Odii January 7, 2016 / 6:07 am

“…I hope that when it seems like chaos is all there is we remember to look above and see the stars.”

Sometimes, that turning of the eyes upward is all that can keep us going when it seems like chaos is all we have for our trouble.

And, you’re right. Each time we take a decision or a resolution of some sort, it is wise to look as far as possible. That people are falling over themselves to clap you on the back has never meant that you did the right thing. It has always meant that they like what you did. The two are not always the same. So, each decision should be made with more than the need for people’s approval in mind.

The ‘why’ of the matter is most important indeed. It makes all the difference.

I like how you can see wisdom in the mundane. Bless your eyes. 🙂

• uju January 8, 2016 / 11:04 pm

“That people are falling over themselves to clap you on the back has never meant that you did the right thing. It has always meant that they like what you did. The two are not always the same.”
      And I hope we always remember this.

@I like how you can see wisdom in the mundane. Bless your eyes….
      Lol. Bless your eyes that you see that I see it 😀