731 Days of Writing and Community

the-art-of-writing.jpg

I began this blog two years ago in a hotel room far from home, filled with questions of my worth. It wasn’t a very happy day, but then, my life was not particularly cheerful to begin with. There were times when I cried so much I wondered if the flow would ever stop, and there were days when between a quick smile and laughter I’d say to myself, who are you deceiving?

Who was I deceiving? Nobody. It was my subconscious indicating its need for expression. So when an old friend sent me a link to her blog, I thought to myself, I can do this too. And I did. My first month, in hindsight, turned out a summary of my persona, since the things I wrote about reflected my interests in culture, relationship (with others) and emotions. The second month in a nutshell: identity crisis.

I love that writing can express oneself, thoughts, emotions and interests. It didn’t seem quite appealing on the first trial and there were times I thought to quit this blog and move on… but I didn’t. Two years after I am still here. Writing. Sharing. Relating. With you. Because you let me. With every view, like, comment and share, you tell me you’re here and I am not alone. So that young woman who faced an identity crisis no longer exists and in her place is one eager to discover more about herself and this community.

The benefits that have accrued cannot be quantified. I’ve been more attentive to the world around, not just walking through it. I’ve listened to strangers, not only because they provide fodder for the next post (which is totally great), but because I understand what community means a lot better—it’s experiencing one another.

So this is me saying THANK YOU for walking and running with me. For teaching and helping satisfy that primal urge for communication. And most importantly for being you, because by so doing you let me keep being myself. Right here.

22 thoughts on “731 Days of Writing and Community

1. creatingahome April 15, 2016 / 1:55 pm

Awww sorry this is coming so late, happy anniversary.
    Onward and upwards.

2. contoveros April 4, 2016 / 7:59 pm

I like you.

I think I’ll ask someone to notify me of any new posts you create.

Wish we could sit in a room together with all the others and read our writings to our hearts’ content. I’d do it for days, only to stop, order and then eat some pizza and drink coffee or tea.

Michael J, Philadelphia

• uju April 4, 2016 / 9:16 pm

Hi Mr. M 😀
      That will be an awesome day as one could ever be.

I like you, too.

3. Holistic Wayfarer March 29, 2016 / 3:15 am

Glad you allowed yourself to reach this milestone, U. Love your definition of community. You have a lot you want (rather, need) to say and it’s a pleasure to talk with you through it. Blogging is a tremendous gift on so many levels — and it allows us to give back as much.

Keep writing!
    D.

• uju March 29, 2016 / 11:39 am

Thanks for being there, D 🙂

4. D'Dream March 11, 2016 / 7:09 pm

I am always a believer of the fact that humans are precious and are a bundles awesome experiences. How will the blogosphere look like if someone as gifted as you decides to bury the treasure you have. Great message are often born out of great messes anyway.

Thanks so much for swimming through the dark seas of doubt and vulnerability and also letting us into your beautiful soul and mind.

Happy writing, toast to a great writer 🍻🍻🍻

• uju March 11, 2016 / 7:47 pm

“Great message are often born out of great messes anyway.”

Make art. That’s the advice a wise guy gave. You have pain? Make art. Life sucks? Make more art.
      I’ll try to live by that.

Thanks for doing life with me 🙂

• D'Dream March 11, 2016 / 10:00 pm

@ thanks for doing life with me😀😀.

5. olisakwerah March 1, 2016 / 8:33 pm

I may not be much of a writer, but from reading almost every book I’ve come across since before I was 10, I surely know good writing. I’ve read everything you’ve put out and I can only say; Jah bless 022514.

• uju March 1, 2016 / 9:34 pm

Olisa, here I was thinking about you 🙂 Thanks dearest… for being a big fan and a supportive one.

6. Adaeze March 1, 2016 / 5:33 pm

Happy Anniversary Uju, had to wait until I could fully savour your post, your writing is not meant to be read in a rush, do you gulp fine wine?
    Keep being the writing dazzler that you are.

• uju March 1, 2016 / 9:32 pm

😀 Adaeze! Lol thanks a lot, hun. It’s been awesome having you here.

7. livelytwist March 1, 2016 / 4:16 pm

Congratulations Uju for two years of blogging and the metamorphosis. Thank you for letting us share your world. It has been a fun ride.

• uju March 1, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Thank you for sharing my world, Timi. It’s a fun ride 🙂

8. Nedoux February 29, 2016 / 7:03 pm

Happy blog anniversary,

I love how writing is a creative outlet that somewhat doubles as a therapist’s couch. 🙂

• uju March 1, 2016 / 9:30 pm

@therapist couch. Spot on! 😀 And you don’t have to spend a dime while at it.

Thank you, Nedu. Glad to share this one with you 🙂

9. George February 29, 2016 / 1:56 am

I believe thanks are coming from here, uju. I’m so glad you decided to continue your blog and have enjoyed the process. Here’s to many more years of touching our hearts and minds with your words.

• uju March 1, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Thank you for being a vital part of it, George.
      To another year 🙂

10. George Ifeanyi February 27, 2016 / 3:10 am

It pays to to press on with one’s vision, “just keep on keeping on” you are blessed